The Wildlife Trust BCN manages its Nature Reserves for the conservation of special and important species and habitats. Responsible owners and their dogs are welcome on almost all of our reserves, but dog-related issues (such as wildlife disturbance and attacks on livestock or other site users) mean we may exclude dogs from all or part of some reserves for part or all of the year.
Dog fouling can cause problems for wildlife, by increasing the nutrients and thus threatening important plant species and communities, and is unpleasant and potentially dangerous to other visitors as well as Trust staff and volunteers.
Where dogs are allowed, the following applies:
- Always clean up after your dog.
- Keep your dog on a lead or close to you, in sight.
- Be certain it will come if called.
- Never let your dog chase wildlife or grazing animals.
- Ensure your dog’s behaviour is not a threat or problem to other visitors
- Please follow all local signs for additional information about walking your dog.
This video by the South Downs National Park authority is well worth a watch.