Volunteer Weekend Ranger
, Rushden, Northamptonshire, NN10 6FA
For more information and to express an interest, contact Viktoria Marta, Supporter Engagement and Retail Officer.
Email Viktoria.firstname.lastname@example.org Tel 07931325888
The Nene Wetlands is a flagship reserve for the Wildlife Trust BCN and, being adjacent to the Rushden Lakes Retail Park, has a far greater number of visitors than many of our other reserves, particularly at weekends. This creates lots of opportunities for us to engage new people with wildlife and the vital work of the Wildlife Trust BCN. However, it also places additional pressures on the reserve and its inhabitants.
We are looking for volunteers to help us to increase our presence on the ground, talking to visitors about the wildlife they may have seen or might see, explaining how to enjoy the reserve responsibly and highlighting the work that the Wildlife Trust BCN is doing to help local wildlife.
The role of Volunteer Weekend Ranger will be vital to ensuring visitors to the reserve, and in particular, Skew Bridge Lake, have an enjoyable and informative visit and are supportive of the work of the Wildlife Trust. The role can be flexible to your skills and interests, and will entail some or all of the following:
- Talking to visitors on the reserve, pointing out interesting wildlife sightings and offering advice on the best spots to see wildlife.
- Answering visitor questions and queries about the site
- Providing information to visitors about events & activities, volunteering opportunities and Wildlife Trust membership
- Helping to ensure people use the reserve responsibly (pointing out rules and restrictions such as where they can cycle, fish and let dogs off of leads)
- Helping to make sure the reserve is safe and tidy by picking up litter, checking play equipment etc. (all necessary training and PPE provided)
- Supporting the Visitor Centre duty manager by responding to issues on the reserve, such as reports of injured wildlife.